Thursday, December 28, 2006

100 Wins The Benchmark

Does 100 wins really matter anymore?

Maybe I am just old and bitter because I didn’t get to wrestle that many matches when I was a high school wrestler. Back in the day we didn’t get to wrestle as much.

I competed the entire season my freshman year, went 3-2 at sectionals and finished with a 12-10-1 record. Heck for my career back between 1983-86 I was 91-23-2 that’s only 126 matches….Archbold has already wrestled at least 25 dual meets THIS SEASON.
100 wins just seems so commonplace these days.

If you wrestle your team’s entire schedule during the season you ARE going to wrestle in at least 40 matches. I’ve had kids reach 100 wins when I was coaching that had 40 or more losses.

So if you win 100 matches now are you considered an elite wrestler anymore or strictly just above average. What’s the next bar…125 wins, 140 wins?

I think 100 wins and 20-25 losses is pretty impressive. You tell me you are 100-49 over 4 years and I probably wouldn’t be as impressed.
Tomorrow Ohio Wrestling North vs. South.

NEWSWORTHY:
Crestview wrestlers dominate Huron Duals
Montpelier finishes sixth at Division III Classic

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would add that the schedule would also dictate whether 100 wins means anything. If you are at Topgun, Ironman, Beast, Brecksville, Medina. It would mean much more than say, Arcadia, Hopewell Loudon, Gibsonburg, Woodmore "A" Classic. Averaging 40 wins a year is no small task.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home