Friday, February 23, 2007

Go Roughnecks!

I pretty much wrote all I could heading into today’s high school district wrestling tournaments.
But I couldn’t let the day slip by without mentioning the University of Findlay wrestlers will be in action this weekend at the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional.
Yep, there’s no denying that those Roughnecks have had a tough season. There have been a lot of injuries and many young wrestlers were thrown into the lineup. And not to mention freshman Sean Dong becoming ineligible…man that really hurt. I think he was a shoe-in to qualify for nationals and was a serious candidate to earn All-American honors for the Roughnecks.
I remember what it was like. There was a stretch in the middle of my freshman year at Wright State that I wondered if I was ever going to win another wrestling match the rest of my life. It can get that tough when you are a young, struggling college wrestler that isn’t used to losing on the mat.
But I have plenty of faith in Nelson’s boys. I’d expect Andy Uhl and Tony Guerra to win regional titles and heavyweight Travis Clark, a McComb boy, to qualify. Someone else will step up and surprise and qualify too…they always have at least one surprising finish at regionals. With four guys qualified maybe the Roughnecks can end up in the top 10 at nationals for I think the fifth straight year.

NEWSWORTHY:
Bryan, Napoleon face tough competition at Ontario
Eastwood, Oak Harbor finally meet
Ashland area wrestlers are hoping to win state bids
Delphos seniors seek higher goals

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home