Monday, February 26, 2007

Love those Go To matches

One of my favorite hours of the entire year is the hour spent watching the Go-To matches at districts each year. Coaches argue every close call and kids wrestle with an intensity and drive not usually seen in matches earlier in the season.

There is a sense of urgency on the mat in the consolation semifinal round. If you win that match one of your goals hs been accomplished...you get to wrestle in Columbus. If you lose it's an offseason analyzing what went wrong and pondering what could have been.

When I was coaching in that round I couldn't stand it. I had a knot in my stomach and felt queasy because there was nothing I could do. I had to sit back and watch all of it unfold. Maybe that's why I no longer have hair.

Congrats to all those NW District wrestlers that made it to the show. Enjoy it and soak in every last glorious minute of it.

Tomorrow a look at the state bracket in all three divisions. I might be doing some updates at state for all those who might not be able to make it down to the Schott.

NEWSWORTHY:
Oney qualifies for state for South Central
Ashland season ends at Mentor
2 Galion wrestlers headed to state
Carnahan leads the way at Owens
Elmwood’s Royalty
3 Bluffton Pirates advance at Fairmont
2 Defiance area wrestlers survive Ontario district
Clum, Rumple advance for Galion
Willard wrestler overcomes injuries to get back to state tournament
Oak Harbor dominates Ontario district
Even sick Purdue wins 189 crown at Owens
Sandusky sends 3 to Columbus
Sandusky area sends 15 to state in Division III
Oak Harbor rules Division II district
Delta wins district title

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home